Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sunday at the Museums (Part 2)

In addition to museums, my walks took me to some unusual places just to enjoy the activites of daily life. At the Plaza de Danzon, locals gather on weekends to practice their dance steps. In one small area, there were various groups listening and grooving to their own sounds. Clearly, this was a neighborhood event including food vendors and plenty of local characters.

Zumba (Mexican style) at Plaza de Danzon!

An afternoon hike around the city wouldn't not have been complete without finding something to eat. The Taqueria Tlaquepaque is a place I found years ago. More recently, I've eaten at their Palm Springs, CA branch (really!). The taqueria brags about being the best "Casa de la Birria" (yes, House of the Goat) in town. Well, I have to admit, the plateful of birria tacos I devoured at this hole-in-the-wall establishment were delicious (not not mention that you get a jug of goat au-jus to go with it!). I can't wait to take my brother there (he's already been to the PS location with me).

                                                          Best goat tacos in town!

So much for eating and dancing! Back to my museum crawl today. My next stop was the Diego Rivera Mural Museum (also free on Sundays). Although it's not a large museum, it does house Rivera's great Dream of a Sunday Afternoon. This room length mural has so much going on it it that it takes a good hour to begin to appreciate it. The guide to the persons in the mural is presented in both English and Spanish.


Sunday Afternoon Dreaming (1947)


 I thought you wanted to buy some fruit Senor.


A young Diego with the Frida of his dreams!


It's a national holiday today celebrating President Benito Jaurez (top figure in this section of the painting).

As today, Monday, really is a national holiday, the streets are jammed with couples and families out for a stroll. Most eat their largest meal of the day in the early- to mid-afternoon. I, too, have gone in this direction so as to be able to walk off huge amount of food before bed. You wouldn't guess that there was any economic crisis here. The restaurants are full and look to be doing a great business. I have come to enjoy finding spots filled with local diners and where I am the only gringo in sight. Today was no exception. I read about this tiny restaurant know for authentic Oaxacan-style mole negro. Well, that was my lunch stop today and it didn't disappoint. From the outside, you probably would just walk on by. However, judging this book by it's cover would have been a mistake.

Looking for the best mole in DF? Surprise!


Americanized Mexican food isn't what you get here. My enchiladas con mole were delicious. Every day a large batch of mole is prepared fresh in a huge ceramic caldron at the Fonda Mi Lupita. Three tortillas are placed in the mole to soak in the sauce. They are then placed on a plate. After adding a generous serving of shreaded chicken, they are covered with more mole negro. A grated Mexican cheese (queso fresco) and fresh onions top the dish. Since I have all week here, I know that I'll be back for seconds!

Tomorrow: Looking for Chapingo

No comments:

Post a Comment