Friday, March 23, 2012

Parks, Plazas, & Fountains in La Roma

This morning I headed off to the neighborhood of La Roma. A short metro ride from the Historical District, Roma represents an upper-class neighborhood filled with nice homes, beautiful parks and fountains, and an abundance of cafes. I have found that my trusty companion on this trip, my Lonely Planet Guide to Mexico City, proposes a number of neighborhood walks. This one, and I followed it turn by turn, presented me with a relaxing morning wondering if I could afford a house here. As you'll see below, there's also a connection with the United States (see the two links below) in this section of town


Kids park in Jardin Pushkin.


Strolling along Alvaro Obregon Avenue.


Dancing Fountains at Plaza Luis Cabrera


Around Plaza Cabrera was where American Beat writer William S. Burroughs lived in the 1950s.


Statue of David in Plaza Rio de Janero.


This must be a professional photograph it's so good! Not!


Plaza Villa de Madrid with one of those ubiquitous taxis that tourists are warned to stay away from.


I was a little tired this evening so I stayed close to the hotel. I went into the hotel bar for a beer. The only available seat at the bar was next to a clown with a ventriloquist dummy (swear to God). I know the little guy was staring at me! It wasn't too weird until he started to sing karaoke. Well, most of the guys at the bar were taking turns passing the microphone singing karaoke. Then, the mariachi musicians arrived! It became a real song fest and I was right in the middle of it. It's amazing how many people down here know the words to so many songs. Well, I was pretty popular and after about two hours, I had to promise to learn the words to Frank Sinatra's My Way  in Spanish for the next time I come to town. I told them that my brother would be glad to sing with me in July.


No comments:

Post a Comment